I wrote a couple months ago about the beginning of Reid’s and my nursing relationship and there were some bumps at the outset that we were able to resolve. Since the theme for this month’s Carnival of Breastfeeding is overcoming breastfeeding challenges and I hate to repeat myself, I thought I’d share my story about reduced milk supply. When Reid was about 8 weeks old, I went on the “mini pill” with my doctor’s assurance that it wouldn’t interfere with breastfeeding. The research that I could find online supported my doctor. It would seem that my breasts hadn’t read the material or listened to the doctor as I experienced an immediate drop in milk supply. After a couple of days – I waited because I thought I must be imagining it – I decided I needed to “fix” things because Reid was clearly hungry. I stopped taking the pills and started drinking nursing teas with Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek in them. I increased my intake of water, as well. Thanks to advice via email from Teresa Pitman (LLL leader, co-author of The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, and Executive Director of LLL Canada (what an amazing woman!)) Reid and I also took to our bed to snuggle and nurse for a couple of days. I was fortunate that everything was back to normal in just a few days.
If milk supply is an issue that you are grappling with, these references may be useful:
Teresa Pitman and Dr Jack Newman’s The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers;
Dr Sears’ advice on increasing your milk supply; and, of course,
La Leche League’s information on milk supply, which addresses both too much and not enough milk.
There are many others who have written about their own challenges with breastfeeding and how they overcame them. You’ll also see links to useful books and Web sites. Check back throughout the day. I will be adding links as the others post their stories:
* Stephanie at Speech Act - plugged ducts;
* Half Pint Pixie – oversuppy, blocked ducts, mastitis, flat nipples and blebs;
* Jen at Mama’s Magic – breastfeeding after a C-section;
* Renata at Nurturing Notes – thrush;
* Sinead at Breastfeeding Mums – sore nipples, engorgement, blocked ducts, positioning, mastitis;
* Tanya at The Motherwear Breastfeeding Blog – tongue-tie;
* Donna at Blessed Nest – mastitis, cracked nipples and low supply;
* Hobo Mama – finger feeding and baby hickeys;
* Angela at Breasteeding 123 – thrush, oversupply and plugged ducts
Have you got a story to share?